#Weworkasone – Mallacoota Community Safety and Resilience Support Group Projects
Mallacoota is a very small, remote community with a high bushfire risk.
‘Weworkasone’ aimed to develop community knowledge, increase local preparedness and the community’s ability to respond to and recover from emergencies.
During the projects, local emergency management agencies worked together with the local community across a broad range of initiatives, including:
- A CFA and community radio 3 MBG partnership with a weekly Emergency Services Hour
- CFA information trailers at local markets
- A ‘Managing Bush-fire Risk’ community meeting
- Inter-agency community meetings and site visits to discuss planned burning
- Joint DELWP and CFA delivery of planned burns
- Domestic fire extinguisher training for residents
- A program to involve youth as junior firefighters
- Planning the ‘Double Creek extravaganza’ held in September on local private land
This collaborative project has resulted in a large number of people from the local population being able to access information and discuss issues. The partnerships have started new discussions within the community and the project is seen as the beginning of an ongoing process.
This Weeks Job
Fire Insight and Risk Recognition Event (FIRRE)